Cross Linked Polyethylene Foam
What Is Cross Linked Polyethylene Foam?
Cross-linked polyethylene foam, or XLPE foam, is a fine celled chemically cross lined material that is characterized by a micro-cellular structure. Cross-linked polyethylene foam is a closed-celled foam with similar properties to polyethylene foam but also has the ability to protect delicate finishes, such as type "A" finishes. With its extremely fine cells and superior properties, cross-linked polyethylene foam is perfect for applications that require a thicker material.
Cross Linked Polyethylene Applications
Some common applications for cross-linked polyethylene foam include:
- Case Inserts
- Medical Packaging
- Cushioning Applications
- Tool Drawer Inserts
- Food Packaging
- Consumer Products
- Decorative Packaging
- Floatation Devices
- Yoga and Exercise Mats
- Miltary Tool Control
- Gaskets and Seals
- Decorative Packaging
Cross-linked polyethylene foam also offers a variety of benefits including:
- Resistance to water absorption
- Ozone resistance
- Higher tear and tensile strengths
- High range of temperature stability
- Flexibility and durability
- Excellent buoyancy
- Oil and solvent resistance
- Impact resistance and shock absorption
- Dimensional stability and thermal conductivity
- Tear and puncture resistance
- Mold and bacteria resistance
- Excellent chemical resistance
Foam Cutting Capabilities
Foamcraft USA offers a variety of cutting methods for cross-linked polyethylene foam. Some of these cutting methods include:
Die-cutting - A technique of cutting and shaping foam parts using steel ruled tools or “dies” utilizing a high tonnage press called a punch press.
Compression cutting - A process of compressing foam parts against a custom tool engineered in-house to form a finished part.
Contour cutting - A method that creates intricate shapes from large foam blocks. Once cut to the proper size, the depth of the contour cut foam part is then slit to the desired thickness.
VOLARA® Foam Parts
VOLARA® is a fine celled, irradiation cross-linked polyethylene foam that offers aesthetic appeal as well as an outstanding range of performance characteristics. Its smooth surface, excellent consistency, gauge control, superior physical and chemical properties, low water absorption, and vapor transmission make VOLARA® a versatile, dependable solution for a host of demanding applications. Some common VOLARA® applications include:
- Transportation: Door panels, headliners, panels, and gaskets
- Tape and Healthcare: medical and industrial tapes, healthcare devices, medical packaging
- General industrial applications: appliance gaskets, construction, tool kit drawer liners, and sports padding.
For more information on our custom XLPE foam fabrication capabilities and how we can provide you with the perfect cross-linked polyethylene foam solution, contact the team at FoamCraft USA today!